(Privacy) Standard Collection Notice
for Catholic schools operating under the authority of the Bishop of Wollongong and administered
under the direction of the Catholic Education Office, Diocese of Wollongong
1. St Benedict’s Catholic College, 70-86 Oran Park Drive, Oran Park NSW 2570, (02) 4631-5300, is a Catholic systemic school operating under the authority of the Bishop of Wollongong and administered under the direction of the Catholic Education Office, Diocese of Wollongong. The School and the Diocese collects personal information, including sensitive information about pupils and parents or guardians before and during the course of a pupil’s enrolment at the School. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable the School to provide schooling to the pupil and enable the pupil to take part in all the activities of the School.
2. Some of the information we collect is to satisfy the School’s legal obligations, particularly to enable the School to discharge its duty of care.
3. Laws governing or relating to the operation of schools require certain information to be collected and disclosed. These include relevant Education Acts, Public Health and Child Protection laws.
4. Health information about pupils is sensitive information within the terms of the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act. We may ask you to provide medical reports about pupils from time to time.
5. If we can not obtain the information referred to above we may be unable to enrol or continue the enrolment of your child.
6. The School, from time to time, discloses personal and sensitive information to others for administrative and educational purposes, including to facilitate the transfer of a pupil to another school. This includes to other schools; government departments or agencies such as the NSW Department of Education and Communities (DEC), NSW Board of Studies, Teaching and Education Standards (BOSTES), the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA); the Catholic Education Office; the NSW Catholic Education Commission; the National Catholic Education Commission; the Diocese of Wollongong and its parishes; other Dioceses or parishes, medical practitioners and people providing services to the School, including specialist visiting teachers, (sports) coaches, volunteers and counsellors.
7. Personal information may be used for the purpose of publishing certain school information relating to the general circumstances of parents and students on the MySchool website, in accordance with Australian Government requirements.
8. Personal information collected from pupils is regularly disclosed to their parents or guardians.
9. The School may utilise external providers to deliver certain services including ‘cloud’ data storage to the School and its staff and students. The School may store personal information in the ‘cloud’ which may mean that it resides on servers that are located outside Australia.
10. The School has a Policy that sets out how parents or pupils may seek access to personal information collected about them. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, where access may result in a breach of the School’s duty of care to the pupil, or where pupils have provided information in confidence.
11. As you may know the School from time to time engages in fundraising activities. Information received from you may be used to make an appeal to you. Such information may also be disclosed to organisations that assist in the School’s fundraising activities solely for that purpose. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
12. On occasions information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupil activities and school-related news is published in School and Diocesan newsletters, magazines or other publications and on the School, Catholic Education Office or Diocesan websites. Photographs of pupil activities such as academic or sporting events, school camps and excursions may be taken for publication in newsletters and magazines and on our intranet. The School will obtain separate permissions from the pupil’s parent or guardian prior to publication if we intend to include photographs or other identifying material for the purposes of promotion for the School or otherwise make it available to the public, such as on the internet or forwarded on to commercial media outlets.
13. The School may include your contact details in a class list and/or School directory.
14. If you provide the School with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, we encourage you to inform them that you are disclosing that information to the School and why, that they can access that information if they wish and that the School does not usually disclose this information to third parties.
Director of Schools
Diocese of Wollongong